Friday, May 6, 2011

Keeping God In Control

In high school I thought I had it all. My family and I were close, I had lots of friends, I got good grades, and (most important to me) I had a boyfriend. Having all these things made me feel that I had life under control and that's all I needed.

I've always believed in God, and I accepted Jesus as my savior in 8th grade. Although I knew Jesus was in my heart, I felt that he wasn't doing enough for me. I grew up without close friends, and I always felt alone. My life felt like I had no control of it, and I tried many times to let Jesus help me. But I felt that I could do better and work faster at making myself happy; so it was then that I decided I needed to take matters into my own hands, without Jesus. 

As my years in high-school rolled by, I turned more and more away from Jesus and instead choose to seek satisfaction in my relationship with my boyfriend. I felt that as long as he loved me, nothing else mattered. But year after year we would break up and then get back together and repeat the cycle to try to make our relationship better. Even though I knew this situation was bound to keep continuing, I still felt that I had it under control and everything was going to be fine, just the way it was.

Don't we all do this? We get stuck in a situation and we feel that we have it under control, no matter how many times we get hurt. We see it happen to our friends and family, and when we try to help them out, they just respond "Don't worry about it, I've got it under control."

God tells us that we should "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
  
But why should we trust in God? What right does he have to control our lives? 

"Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you. Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you: a prophet to the nations - that's what I had in mind for you." (Jeremiah 1:5)

God knew us before we were born, and even BEFORE we were created! He knows everything about us: thoughts, feelings, and dreams. God knows us through and through, and he knows exactly where to lead us and where he knows we'll feel satisfied. God would never lead us anywhere he thinks we will fail. He will only lead us to where he knows it will glorify him and make us happy at the same time. When we seek satisfaction in the Lord we will find joy and peace in us and in him.

What areas of your life are you not letting God take control? Why? What could you do everyday to ensure that God has control?

Follow my favorite links to receive more help on keeping God in control of your life. 

Love, Trish

2 comments:

  1. Mmhmm... Proverbs 3:5-6. Always been a personal favorite.

    -just some guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proverbs is one of my favorite books! Glad to hear you like it too :)

    ReplyDelete